Wednesday, January 9, 2008

A case of the Wednesdays...

To begin, yesterday afternoon we discussed the difference between YA novels and Adult novels. We talked about Catcher in the Rye, Separate Peace, To Kill a Mockingbird, and others. My job was to talk about Running with Scissors. I argued that it was an "adult" novel, because though it was told from the perspective of a young person, it had the distinct advantage of being filtered through an adult Augusten looking back. 33 Snowfish, which included more "graphic" content, was told from a different point of view and with a different sensibility - therefore, it was a YA. I put it much more eloquently to my peers.

This morning, I had a seminar on observation as a writer. We talked about Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time among others. There was a great line from the seminar - "People who live by the ocean, don't hear the sea...". Another great line from the seminar about relationships - "you enter for the cheese, but stay for very different reasons." OUCH!

After that workshop, I went to a panel discussion on having the "killer instinct" as a writer - which I lack. It was informative, but a tad long. I was getting mentally restless - as you must feel when I blabber on and on.

I just ate a turkey sandwich. After this, my workshop group reconvenes to discuss another picture book.

Tonight, Chris Lynch is reading. So I'm excited.

No comments: