Thursday, January 3, 2008

MFA residency Liveblog

Hey guys,

Starting this Friday evening, I will be attending my second residency at Lesley University for my Masters in Fine Arts. I am getting my degree in Creative Writing with a focus on Writing for Young People (Young Adult Fiction). Basically, I never got over my Holden Caulfield obsession.

This week - I will be liveblogging my residency, which means posting a couple of times a day about courses I am taking, workshops, readings, etc.

During the week, I will attend many, many workshops including "Second Person in Female Narrative Poetry" - Talk about specific! I also will have my writing (the first 90 pages of a novel) critiqued by classmates. I will meet with my advisor Chris Lynch, who wrote Inexcusable. Furthermore, I have to prepare a discussion on Running with Scissors on whether or not it is meant for Young Adults - I just found this out - IRONY.

Part of my desire to get my MFA is to help be a better teacher of reading and writing. I couldn't think of a better way to share this experience of studying English at a graduate level than using the blog format.

Feel free to comment and ask questions. I will be busy. Keep reading A Separate Peace and behave yourselves.

No comments: