Thursday, January 10, 2008

More workshops and seminars

Today began with a seminar on beginnings. Apparently, I have no idea how to begin a book. We discussed the importance of not misleading the reader in the beginning. You can't open with a story about a girl and a dog and then have the book be about aliens and tree frogs. The beginning needs to hook and create the appropriate atmosphere as well. I felt I did that, but I'm not sure if I truly honored my reader.

I had lunch: grilled chicken and some beef barley soup. It was lovely.

Then our small group workshop met again. I get workshopped tomorrow. It is a lot of fun, but I can tell we have all hit a wall. I don't know how you do it. Go to school everyday. Man, I'm running on caffeine. Per usual.

There is a reading tonight, which I plan on attending. I hope my car is not towed.

-Mr. Walsh

No comments: