Friday, April 4, 2008

A mini-reminder: Plagiarism

I felt it was a good time for a little reminder.

Plagiarism is using others words and ideas as your own. It is cheating.

At Malden High School, one count of plagiarism will prevent you from entering National Honors Society; two counts will result in a suspension.

Let us play a game. Let us call it: Plagiarism (P)/Not Plagiarism (NP)

Talking to your friend about your paper and bouncing around your ideas. (NP)
Taking your friends ideas and writing them as your own. (P)
Talking to your friend about papers of similar topics and sharing assertions/ideas. (P)
Talking to your friends about paper of similar topics and going over background information or context. (NP)
Copying your friends paper or using their questions as your own. (P)
Talking to Mr. Walsh and having him help you create an assertion and questions. (NP)
Using an article from wikipedia or How to Read like a Professor, citing it, to help create your own ideas (NP)
Using ideas found on sparknotes, cliff notes, etc. as your own (BIG TIME P)
Using other people's assertions as your own (BIG TIME P)
Failing to cite quotes. (P)
Passing off Mr. Walsh's ideas as your own. (P)


You are free and strongly encouraged to use information presented class in your paper, but in doing so, do not claim that you came up with this idea, if in fact, you didn't. There is a fine line; if you have questions, don't be afraid, just ask.

This is all about learning. I am not out to get anyone. I'm excited about your ideas. I'm really want to read these papers.

I will guide you in making your own assertions. Do not go elsewhere. Much of the grade on this paper is about the process of creating and building an assertions. It is a challenge, an intellectual one. Let's shine.

-Best of luck, Mr. Walsh

42 comments:

Hillary D 2 said...

YES I READ IT, MR. WALSH.

Jeniffer M 2 said...

Got it!

Chloe C 2 said...

Yes, Mr. Walsh. I read it.

Martin D 2 said...

yup

Jillann C 2 said...

i read ittttttttttttttttttttttt

Aaron G 2 said...

I have read this piece of literature.

Jillian D 2 said...

I read it.

nashally t 2 said...

read it. yup.

Herman T 2 said...

Yes, I've read it as well.

Jess L 2 said...

I read it.

Trang T 2 said...

got it!

Nikita R 2 said...

I read it!

DAvid T 2 said...

I'm so cool

Kim C 2 said...

yes i read it

DAvid T 2 said...

I mean...I read it

kYLE W. 2 said...

I read this

henry d:2 said...

I read it good!
Can learn me please? lol..

Cristina V 2 said...

yup i read it!

sandy j 2 said...

Yes!!!!!! I read it!!!!!

barbara j 2 said...

Yeah I read it.

Martin D 2 said...

I'm cooler than David...

Jimmy v.2 said...

I read it.

DAvid T 2 said...

I'm so much cooler than Martin...

Consuelo T 2 said...

i read it.

Ngoc D. 4 said...

I read it.

Jen-T 4 said...

yes walshy i read it

Elaine T 4 said...

i read it =)

casey w. 4 said...

im goodd.

::HebaK:: 4 said...

I read it.

Thanh N. 4 said...

I read it this morning =D

Kellie L 4 said...

i read it

Kellie L 4 said...

i read it

Katherine Z 4 said...

yep, read it

Ashley N. 4 said...

I've read it.

Victoria P. 4 said...

I read it :)

Belinda L 4 said...

I read it.

Marissa G 4 said...

i read it!

Lynn T. 4 said...

read ittttt

laura b said...

i read it

Jonathan C. 4 said...

i read it too

Amir Q. 4 said...

I read it too...

Steven E. 4 said...

i read it