Wednesday, June 25, 2008

I've been busy

This residency has been so so so so busy. Yet, I have learned so much. I learned about the importance of verbs in moving action. I learned about how to avoid sentimentality in writing. We read some really really awful pieces.

I was workshopped and basically need to change my whole book. Imagine writing 140 pages then being told to change everything. It was refreshing and I didn't cry. I actually felt okay and looking forward to rethinking everything.

This residency has been a lot of fun. I've had good conversations about writing and with people. Over lunch, myself and a bunch of authors and students played desert island albums, movie, and book. I chose:

1) Confederacy of Dunces as a book
2) Beatles White Album as the album
3) Annie Hall as the movie (though I'm not confident on this one.)

I heard some great readers. My advisor David Elliot read from his book (Wuv Bunnies from Outers Pace). It was hysterical. I have a workshop with MT Anderson today and he is reading tonight. So I'm excited.

I also read yesterday and people were rolling in the aisles and laughing. A couple people said I intimidated them, which I found funny, because I think I'm lest intimidating person.

I'm off to read and need to get to Lesley to learn about point of view. YAY.

2 comments:

Elaine T 4 said...

Glad your summer is going well Mr. Walsh. And why did they find you intimidating?

I know I found you intimidating at the beginning of the year because of the course. I mean, with all the things we needed to learn and the books we had to read I was nervous but it turned out ok. You're not that intimidating and your course wasn't that scary either. Now AP English with Ms. Petit or you, now that's intimidating. Even more work.

Mr. Walsh said...

I think you'll find that things will turn out all right. Yes, AP -whether it is with me or Ms. Petit - is a lot of work, but you'll do fine and she is a wonderful teacher.

My intimidation tends to wear off.

I hope you have a great summer, and if you have any questions or need help, feel free to email either of us.